4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Training
Position Title: Discipline Instructor
Louisiana 4-H Shooting Sports Program
Time Commitment:Length of service is one year. Renewable.Three-year commitment preferred.Length, duration and frequency of the program to be determined by each parish.
Location:Serve at the parish level.
Type of Position:Volunteer key leader; no direct salary.
Supervision:Shooting Sports parish coordinator and Extension professional in charge of 4-H youth programs.
General Purpose:Be responsible for the overall teaching of knowledge and skills in a specific discipline to 4-H members, ages 9-20.
- Stress shooting safety.
- Coordinate activities with the Shooting Sports parish coordinator.
- Coach members on proper shooting techniques.
- Attend parish meetings and activities.
- Recruit and train assistant instructors as needed.
- Inform parish coordinator about and help secure needed equipment and facilities.
- Recruit parents and members.
- Participate in additional training programs the parish Shooting Sports Committee decides to include.
- Help plan the yearly program
- Actively encourage and support members.
- Encourage members to participate in other 4-H events and activities.
- Submit an annual report to the parish coordinator.
- Evaluate all assistant instructors annually and submit the results to the parish coordinator.
- Promote environmental awareness by participants.
- Age 21 or older for all disciplines.
- Ability to work with youth and adults.
- Have an interest in shooting and some knowledge of shooting techniques.
- State certification in specific discipline and re-certified as required.
- Be familiar with 4-H objectives and philosophy and/or willing to learn about them.
- Moral standards consistent with the 4-H philosophy.
Support to be Provided:
- Louisiana Shooting Sports instructor training workshop (12 hours minimum)
- 4-H Shooting Sports curriculum handbook and discipline guides upon completion of the workshop.
- Local volunteer training programs.