It's July in Louisiana and that means it's time for fresh Louisiana figs!
- 3 cups mashed figs
- 2 (3 ounce) packages strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- Wash, remove stems, peel and mash figs.
- Place figs, gelatin, sugar, and lemon slices in a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and continue to boil 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove lemon slices from mixture and discard them.
- Pour hot preserves into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Remove foam, if desired.
- Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel.
- Place lids and rings on jars - not too tight.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 5 minutes.
Yield: About 6 half-pint jars