POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
4-H Camp Lifeguard Positions – Summer 2022
WORK LOCATION: Grant Walker 4-H Educational Center, Pollock, LA.
DESCRIPTION: The Grant 4-H Educational Center seeks dynamically certified lifeguards to work at our pond and pool as swim instructor and traditional lifeguard. This individual will serve as a lifeguard for all camp waterfront operations; provide constant surveillance of waterfront activities; maintain the cleanliness of the pool and pond area; plan swimming activities at all water areas and conduct daily swimming lessons.
- Assist in coordinating and maintaining all waterfront programs.
- Ensure the camp staff and campers know and follow safety procedures at all water areas.
- Directs and supervises the behavior of all swimmers to ensure compliance with water safety rules.
- Teach swim lessons.
- Provides surveillance of pool and pond activities to help prevent injuries.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the pool and pond area.
- Daily inspection and cleaning of kayaks, canoes, dock areas, and life jackets.
- Make sure that all boating equipment is secured before personnel leave the pond area.
- Monitors pond activities to include swimming, canoe, and kayaking, etc.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to perform first aid procedures and life-saving techniques.
- Ability to supervise swimmers and provide constant surveillance of pool activities to ensure swimmer safety and to respond to emergency rescue when needed.
- Ability to enforce all pool rules.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Ability to build and maintain productive mentor relationships with children and youth.
- Ability to communicate effectively with campers, camp staff, 4-H Agents, and adults.
- Ability to meet attendance requirements.
- Preferably at least 18 years of age. Junior and Senior level college students preferred.
- Certification as a Lifeguard by a nationally recognized certifying organization (American Lifeguard Association or Red Cross).
- One-year experience working as a lifeguard preferred, OR any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must complete the employee background screening process by the LSU AgCenter Human Resource Management Unit.
Long periods of standing, sitting, carrying, stooping, and stretching. Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate lifeguard equipment and activities are required. The ability to lift up to 50 lbs. or more. Operate daily with exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will commensurate with experience. Housing options are available on site upon request, availability, and job responsibility. Meals and snacks are also available.
DATE AVAILABLE: Camp starts on May 23, 2022 – July 23, 2022. Workdays are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday each week. The camp is not in session the week of June 20-23, 2022. The required training period will be the week of May 12 – May 20, 2022.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Must apply online at https://lsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/LSU
MUST submit resume, cover letter, and two letters of recommendation to be considered complete.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 25, 2022, or until suitable candidates are identified.
The LSU Agricultural Center is a statewide campus of the LSU System and provides equal opportunities in programs and employment. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.