GRANT WALKER 4-H EDUCATIONAL CENTER
SOUS CHEF/KITCHEN ASSISTANT – SUMMER 2022
WORK LOCATION: Grant Walker 4-H Educational Center – Pollock, LA.
DESCRIPTION: The Grant Walker 4-H Educational Center seeks a Sous Chef/Kitchen Assistant for our summer camp located in Pollock, LA.Grant Walker serves as a 4-H summer camp to youth in grades 4th – 6th grade.
- Experience in institutional or large quantity food service.
- Current ServSafe certification preferred.
- Willingness to follow directions and work as a team member.
- Knowledge of food safety procedures.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Able to interact positively with all age levels.
- Must complete the employee background screening process and be approved by LSU AgCenter Human Resource Management Unit.
- Maintain a clean, sanitary, and safe environment for food handling, storage, and service.
- Clean and maintain all food service areas; including kitchen, dining hall, refrigerators, coolers, dishwashing area, storage, and back loading area.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure appropriate utilization, proper care/cleaning, and maintenance.
- Perform inspections of equipment as assigned by Chef/Kitchen Director.
- Assist in receiving, and inventory of food, supplies, and equipment.
- Follow and uphold all safety, security rules and procedures.
- Be a role model to all campers and staff in attitude and behavior.
- Set a good example for campers and others regarding general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, personal hygiene, language, and following of schedules.
- Know, understand, demonstrate, and share Grant Walker 4-H Educational Center rules, policies and traditions.
- Adhere to schedules provided by the Kitchen Director.
- Assist in production of daily meals for approximately 300+ campers and staff.
- Clean, organize and reset kitchen, service, and dining area following each meal.
- Ensure high-quality camp meal experiences.
- Other duties as assigned by Camp Director and Kitchen Director.
PHYSICAL ASPECTS OF THE JOB:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Work with groups (of varying age, skill, and experience levels) to provide necessary instruction and information.
- Effective visual and auditory skills. Be able to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards.
- Ability to enforce safety regulations and procedures.
- Be prepared to use all kitchen equipment on site correctly and in a safe manner
- Duties may include/require:
- Prolonged standing, bending, stooping and walking
- Hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate equipment
- Lifting up to 50 pounds
- Extended exposure to heat
- Irregular hours, on occasion
- Chef/Kitchen Director
- Camp Director
HOURS AND SALARY: Morning and evening shifts are available. Salary will commensurate with experience. Workdays are Monday – Thursday each week for nine weeks.
DATES AVAILABLE: Camp begins on May 23, 2002 and ending on July 23, 2022.The camp is not in session the week of June 20-23, 2022.The required training period will be May 16 – May 20, 2022.Chef/Kitchen Director will work before the camping season begins for ordering, kitchen set-up, hiring of kitchen staff, and menu review and planning.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Must apply online at https://lsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/LSU
MUST submit a cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation to be considered complete.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 25, 2022, or until suitable candidate is identified.
The LSU Agricultural Center is a statewide campus of the LSU System and provides equal opportunities in programs and employment. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.