4-H Summer Camp "100 Years, A Million Memories"
June 13 - 16, 2022
Location: Camp Grant Walker, Pollock, La (near Alexandria)
Who can attend: Open to all 4th – 6th grade 4-H members who are 9-12 years of age
Cost: $200.00 - includes room & board, meals, transportation, t-shirt, and photo. (Scholarships are available, contact the DeSoto 4-H Office Mrs. Molly at 318-872-0533) Deposit: A $100.00 non-refundable deposit must be paid to reserve your spot by April 25, 2022.
Camper & Parent Meeting: Will be in May 2022 for ALL DeSoto 4-H campers. Health Forms will be completed, parents can ask questions and agents will share packing tips, a slide show of camp, and more!
- Fill out the registration form attached.
- Make your check or money order payable to DeSoto 4-H.
- Mail or deliver registration form & deposit to DeSoto 4-H, 10117 HWY 171, Grand Cane, LA 71032 before April 25. (DO NOT send this to your child's school)
- Final payment due by May 25, 2022. (Refunds: anything paid over the $100 deposit may be refunded up until 2 weeks prior to camp; no refunds within 2 weeks of camp without a doctor’s excuse.)
- Camp Store* money due by May 25. (see explanation further down) $25 limit.
- Registration is on a first-come, first-pay basis until our parish quota is filled. It fills up fast, so don’t wait too long! Registration must be turned in at the DeSoto 4-H Office or the forms and fees can be mailed to our office; DO NOT send the camp forms or fees to school. Returned Checks: there will be a $25.00 charge for all returned checks.
May 25, 2022 is the deadline to put money in camp store account. Campers cannot take money to camp. If they wish to spend money in the camp souvenir store, all camp store money must be paid into their "account" before going to camp. This can be done at registration time or anytime up until May 25. Please let your child know how much money is in his/her account. A list of items to be sold in the store will be sent to campers later.
Camp T-Shirt, Pictures, and Pillowcases
Group Photos will be taken on the first day of camp. All campers will receive a Parish photo of just the DeSoto Parish campers. Campers may choose to purchase a camp photo of the entire group of campers for $5. All campers will receive a t-shirt.
Information about 4-H Camp
The camp week is 3 ½ days.
Monday, we'll arrive at camp, get settled into our cabins (air-conditioned!), take group pictures and choose Tracks** for morning activities.
Tuesday & Wednesday: Campers will participate in their Tracks each morning, recreational activities in the afternoon, and free time for swimming, arts & crafts and/ or dancing in the evening after the assembly. It's a fun-filled busy week!
Thursday: Wake up and pack-up, breakfast, depart for home!
**What Tracks are available? Tracks are subject to change due to availability of grant funds and/or construction delays at camp. Track choices will be:
- Water Safety: Beat the summer heat by learning the coolest new way of exploring Louisiana’s waterways – stand-up paddle boarding (SUP). This track will teach you how to stay safe in the water while having fun and learning the basics of a stand-up paddleboard. If the water is your favorite place to be, then grab a paddle and meet us at the pond!
- Outdoor Adventures: Get ready to explore the great outdoors with the Outdoor Adventures track this summer. Participate in a large variety of hands-on activities like learning the proper techniques to shoot a bow, outdoor cooking, woodsmen skills, ATV, and compass navigation. If you are adventurous and like being in the outdoors, this track is for you!
- Wetlands: In the wetlands track, we will explore all things wetlands. We will introduce campers to what wetlands are, what they do, and why Louisiana needs them so badly. This track will be action-packed with loads of games and activities about wetlands and the plants and animals that live there.
- Food & Fitness: Do you know what it takes to be healthy? Through hands-on cooking activities, group fitness sessions and team challenges, you can learn about preparing healthy snacks, getting up and moving, and setting healthy goals.
- Science, Engineering & Technology: Get ready, get SET… to have some fun with science, engineering, and technology. The SET track will explore the exciting worlds of chemistry, computers, construction, rockets, and much more! Have fun concocting crazy chemistry experiments that go pop, fizz, and maybe even BOOM! Get ready to get SET at 4-H Camp!
- Hunter Safety Certification: Participants who are at least ten years of age and wish to obtain a hunter safety card will have that opportunity. Participants will also get to shoot .22 rifles.
Camping is one of the most valuable experiences a child can have. It’s a learning time that allows boys and girls to learn independence, meet new friends, appreciate the outdoors, live together as a group, and most of all…HAVE FUN! One of the most important things children learn from camp is to be self-sufficient. That is, they learn that they CAN survive for 4 whole days, taking care of themselves, making their own beds, and being independent. If your child signs up for camp, please help prepare them for this experience so they can get the most out of it. Campers will not be allowed to have cell phones. Any camper caught with a cell phone will be sent home.
Pre-Camp Parent & Camper Meeting
There will be a MANDATORY PARENT MEETING in May 2022 for ALL campers. Health Forms will be completed, parents can ask questions and agents will share packing tips, a slide show of camp, and more!