International Travel

“Know before You Go” Checklist for International Travel by Employees of the LSU AgCenter

Know before You Go Checklist for International Travel PDF

The LSU AgCenter Global Network recognizes that there are many steps to planning a trip. To help simplify the process, we developed a checklist for any member of the LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture wishing to travel abroad. International travel undertaken on behalf of the LSU AgCenter is subject to LSU Permanent Memorandum Number 13 (PM13), “University Travel Regulations”. For more clarification, you can contact Jonathan Hubchen (225 578-7067, at the LSU AgCenter’s Global Network.

Find health and safety information on the International Travel Insurance and Assistance Services page.

Before You Go – Travel Checklist

  • DP5ytBRX4AAMCE3jpgEnsure that you have a Passport that is up-to date (typically more than six months before expiration).If not, access the following:
  • Determine if you need an entry visa for any of the countries that you plan to visit. For more information:
  • Prepare a Spend Authorization in Workday, which must be approved by the Vice President for Agriculture or appropriate Program Leader. Contact your unit’s administrators for assistance.
    • Note the LSU AgCenter’s current policy on International Travel in relation to COVID-19 as found on this web-page.All travelers are encouraged to receive the COVID-19 vaccine
    • Approval of LSU AgCenter Accounting Services is required for international travel prior to preparing a spend authorization.All requests for international travel should first be submitted to the appropriate Unit Head. Unit Heads will be responsible for submitting and obtaining approval from Jan Bernath at Requests should include name(s) of travelers, date(s) of travel, destination, method of travel, lodging accommodation details, statement of essential nature of travel, and any other information related to the request.
    • If approved, Jan Bernath will issue an approved letter for the requested travel. The traveler should then create the spend authorization in Workday and attach the approval letter.
    • COVID-related and/or mandated expenses incurred while on business travel will be allowed with AgCenter funds for employees only as long as the travel was pre-approved in accordance with AgCenter guidelines. COVID-related expenses may include, but are not limited to any quarantine expenses (i.e. lodging, meals, etc.) and COVID tests going/returning. In addition, if quarantined, the employee should work remotely as much as possible and will have to take leave for any hours they can't work remotely.
  • LSU monitors U.S. Department of State Travel Alerts and Warnings. Note that this page currently includes information on the status of COVID-19 for each country.To mitigate the risk associated with travel to high risk regions, it is required that all such requests be approved by the Vice President of Agriculture.
  • Determine if you need a Travel Advance. Contact your unit’s administrators for assistance.Remember that personal meals are not allowed on a LaCarte card.
  • Book International Airfare – Once an employee has been granted approval to travel internationally, the employee is free to either book their airfare through the contracted travel agency – currently Christopherson Business Travel (CBT) – or access CBT’s online booking system after you log in. Other information regarding air travel includes:
    • CBT fees
    • CBT tutorials
    • Any federally-supported air travel has to conform to the Fly America Act. This requires the use of a U.S. air carrier service for all air travel and cargo transportation services funded by the U.S. government
  • If you have to book a hotel room, ensure that the nightly charge is within the U.S. State Department’s or PM-13’s maximum per diem rate for hotels in that destination. Refer to this website
  • If you need to rent a vehicle while traveling overseas, please note the following:
    • The States contract with Enterprise only holds for domestic vehicle rental so you are not limited to Enterprise while renting a vehicle outside the U.S.
    • It is strongly recommended that liability and physical damage insurance be purchased when renting a vehicle outside the U.S.If included in the spend authorization, this international rental insurance can be reimbursed.
  • If you are traveling internationally you may wish to acquire travel accident insurance for your trip.International Travel Assistance Services and Insurance ( will be provided by the University to employees and students traveling internationally, currently at no cost to their units.
    • To be eligible, employees must have an approved “Spend Authorization”. Students must be enrolled in a qualified University-sponsored travel program. You also must register you trip on-line prior to departure @
    • Travelers planning international travel may access medical, security, and cultural information for the destination by calling the University’s Travel Assistance provider at 215-942-8478 for a personalized travel briefing or by visiting the LSU Global Travel Assistance Portal.
  • Confer with your doctor to determine if immunizations are necessary and, if so, the procedure for receiving them. These websites could be useful:
  • Arrange Airport Parking if necessary – LA’s current contract rate is available if you present a state parking certificate and University ID.
  • Ensure that any items you bring into a foreign destination, including electronics, comply with export control regulations. Export control laws are federal regulations that govern how certain information, technologies, and commodities can be transmitted overseas to anyone or to foreign nationals on U.S. soil. International travel may be subject to such regulations depending on the destination, purpose of the trip and the hardware, software, and/or items that are taken.
  • Provide Emergency Contact information to the key personnel in your unit as well as to your family. This information should include telephone and e-mail of host country partners as well as hotels. Also ensure that your unit has local/family contact information
  • Learn as much about your destination as possible. Information can be accessed from the following web-sites:
  • Miscellaneous
    • Notify your financial institutions regarding your international itinerary to facilitate authorization of credit card charges.
    • The Department of State’s International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
    • The Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) – Sanctions Programs and Information
    • Contact your cellphone carrier to arrange an international plan to your satisfaction.
    • Contact your airline regarding baggage charges.
    • Ensure that your electrical devices’ voltage and outlets are compatible with your destination country.
    • Check if your destination countries require entry and/or exit fees.
    • Ensure that you have all of your prescriptions.
    • If you are bringing a laptop, ensure that its viral protection is up to date.
    • Contact Jonathan Hubchen (225 578-7067, to find a ‘Travel Mentor’ i.e., an LSU AgCenter employee who’s been to the country/region and can advise re: language, culture, ease of credit card use, etc.

While Abroad

  • Arrive with enough currency to cover initial expenses (taxi etc.), particularly if credit cards are not used. Be prepared to exchange currency at the airport for such expenses.
  • Update Emergency Contact information to the key personnel in your unit as well as to your family. This information could hotel room number and any cell phone. If possible, provide this information to the U.S. Embassy.
  • Save all receipts incurred on business travel except for personal meals.

On Your Return

Travel Expense Report – Report all travel expenses through Workday using your unit’s administrators after the trip for guidance. Use this Currency Converter to determine USD equivalents for your travel expenses.

Innovate . Educate . Improve Lives

The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture