The LSU AgCenter Global Network recognizes that there are many steps to planning a trip.To help simplify the process, we developed a checklist for any member of the LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture wishing to travel abroad.International travel undertaken on behalf of the LSU AgCenter is subject to LSU Permanent Memorandum Number 13 (PM13), “University Travel Regulations”.For more clarification, you can contact Jonathan Hubchen (225 578-7067, at the LSU AgCenter’s Global Network.

Before You Go – Travel Checklist

  • Ensure that you have a Passport that is up-to date (typically more than six months before expiration).If not, access the following:
  • Determine if you need an entry visa for any of the countries that you plan to visit.For more information:
  • Prepare a Spend Authorization on Workday, which must be approved by the Vice President for Agriculture.Contact your unit’s administrators for assistance.
  • LSU monitors U.S. Department of StateTravel Alerts and Warnings. To mitigate the risk associated with travel to high risk regions, it is required that all such requests be approved by the Vice President of Agriculture.
  • Determine if you need a Travel Advance.Contact your unit’s administrators for assistance.
  • Book International Airfare – Once an employee has been granted approval to travel internationally, the employee is free to either book their airfare through the contracted travel agency– currently Shorts Travel – or download Shorts FindIt App browser extension as shown on the Shorts Travel page after you log in.Any federally-supported air travel has to conform to the Fly America Act.This requires the use of a U.S. air carrier service for all air travel and cargo transportation services funded by the U.S. government
  • If you have to book a hotel room, ensure that the nightly charge, including taxes, is with the U.S. State Department’s maximum per diem rate for hotels in that destination.Refer to this web-site
  • If you are traveling internationally you may wish to acquire travel accident insurance for your trip.
  • Confer with your doctor to determine if immunizations are necessary and, if so, the procedure for receiving them.These websites could be useful:
  • Arrange Airport Parking if necessary – LA’s current contract rate is available if you present a State Parking Certificate and University ID.Parking by the New Orleans Airport is facilitated by LA’s contract with Park’n Fly.Online reservations should be made with the Promotion Code 0050056.
  • Ensure that any items you bring into a foreign destination, including electronics, comply with export control regulations.Export control laws are federal regulations that govern how certain information, technologies, and commodities can be transmitted overseas to anyone or to foreign nationals on U.S. soil.International travel may be subject to such regulations depending on the destination, purpose of the trip and the hardware, software, and/or items that are taken.
  • Provide Emergency Contact information to the key personnel in your unit as well as to your family.This information should include telephone and e-mail of host country partners as well as hotels.Also ensure that your unit has local/family contact information
  • Learn as much about your destination as possible:
  • Miscellaneous
    • Notify your financial institutions regarding your international itinerary to facilitate authorization of credit card charges.

Passports are not allowable for reimbursement by the LSU AgCenter. Keep copies of your passport cover page in safe places to facilitate replacement if necessary.

Additional information for visas:

Verify health insurance - International Travel Assistance Services and Insurance ( will be provided by the University to employees and students traveling internationally, currently at no cost to their units.

  • To be eligible, employees must have an approved “Spend Authorization”. Students must be enrolled in a qualified University-sponsored travel program.You also must register you trip on-line prior to departure @
  • Travelers planning international travel may access medical, security, and cultural information for the destination by calling the University’s Travel Assistance provider at 215-942-8478 for a personalized travel briefing or by visiting the LSU Global Travel Assistance Portal.

Additional sources of information:

Also ensure that you have all of your prescriptions.

If you are bringing a laptop, ensure that its viral protection is up to date.Additional information can be accessed from the following web-sites

While Abroad

  • Arrive with enough currency to cover initial expenses (taxi etc.), particularly if credit cards are not used.Be prepared to exchange currency at the airport for such expenses.
  • Update Emergency Contact information to the key personnel in your unit as well as to your family.This information could hotel room number and any cell phone. If possible, provide this information to the U.S. Embassy.
  • Save all receipts incurred on business travel except for personal meals.

On Your Return

Travel Expense Report – Report all travel expenses through Workday using your unit’s administrators after the trip for guidance.Use this Currency Converter to determine USD equivalents for your travel expenses.

[HJ1]Revised based on guidance from OSP.

Innovate . Educate . Improve Lives

The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture