DeRidder was named for Ella de Ridder, the sister-in-law of a Dutch railroad financier, who brought the first railroad to this area of Louisiana.Her family originally came from the small town of Geldermalsen in the Netherlands.Prior to the naming the town DeRidder, it was known as Schoval.
The first train line to serve DeRidder came in 1902. It was the Pittsburgh & Gulf Railroad, later called the Kansas City Southern.Deridder’s business district is centered around the railroad tracks.With the primary industry being timber, the arrival of the railroad depot was crucial in the incorporation of the city in 1903. Today, the old depot is the home of the Beauregard Museum.
Beyond the town limits, waterways are available for canoeing from the Whiskey Chitto River east of the city to the Sabine River at the Texas border.
DeRidder is known for its sawmill and timber.The Longleaf Pine was the primary tree used in the industry. Other agricultural enterprises include beef cattle, horses, some commercial vegetables and fruit.
DeRidder, Louisiana's estimated population is 10,750 according to the most recent United States census estimates. DeRidder, Louisiana is the 34th largest city in Louisiana based on official 2017 estimates from the US Census Bureau.
The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture