Red River Parish is located in northwest Louisiana and consists of 388.6 square miles. Established in March 2, 1871 by Governor Henry Clay Warmouth from Natchitoches, Caddo, Bossier, Bienville, and DeSoto Parishes. At the time it was a plantation region, and later became the scene of Reconstruction Era violence. The current courthouse, located in the Parish seat Coushatta, was finished in 1926. The town was named for an Indian tribe which once inhabited the area. As of the 2000 census, the population of the Parish numbered at 9,622. The land area of the parish is 389.29 square miles, and the population density is 24.7 people per square mile. Pine trees are the number one agricultural commodity grown in the area with two saw mills located in the parish. Major crops are cotton, corn and soybeans. Also known for our large Beef cattle industry.
The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture