What: 2015 4-H Commodity Cookery Contest
Where: St. Mary Parish 4-H Office
When: Saturday, November 7, 2015
Registration: 9:00- 9:30 a.m.
Judging: 9:30- 11:00 a.m.
Workshops: 9:30- 11:00 a.m.
Awards: 11:00- 11:30 a.m.
Contest Day Procedures
4-H Members will enter the courthouse through the front door and take the elevator to the 3rd floor. A station will be set up to inspect all ice chests for ice and to make sure all dishes are cold. After inspection, the 4-H'er is to bring their dish/dishes to the registration tables to enter their dish/dishes. Do not go to any other floor of the courthouse! Any 4-H'er caught wandering will be disqualified.
1. We have dropped the pork category but have added a Rice category this year. Grand Champion Winners in all the categories will be invited to compete at the area contest.
2. All dishes are to be prepared the night before, refrigerated overnight, and brought to the contest cold, on ice and in an ice chest. No exceptions!
3. All dishes are to be prepared by the 4-H'er. The 4-H'er must bring and register his or her dish at the contest. Parents and/or family members cannot register the dish - no exceptions!
4. Contestants are limited to one entry in each of the six categories. No exception.
5. There can be no raw eggs in the final product.
6. Entries must meet all division requirements. (Example: Sugar entries must contain at least 1/2 cup of sugar!)
7. Contestants are to only bring half of the dish to the contest. Entries must be in disposable containers as all entries will be disposed of at the end of the contest.
8. Recipes must accompany the dishes. Recipes are to be written or typed on 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. The recipe is to be for the entire dish. Do not put your name on the recipe. You will be given a label for your recipe at registration.
9. Bring your recipe in a plastic food storage bag. Entries will be judged on taste, appearance, dietary guidelines, creativity, and originality. The recipe will also be judged. Follow the recipe format below.
10. Judges will look for healthy dishes. If you can substitute any ingredients with a lower fat ingredient, note that in your recipe.
11. 4-H'ers must set up their dish for judging by themselves.
12. Awards - each division will have a Grand Champion, 2nd Place, Blue Ribbon group, Red Ribbon Group, and White Ribbon Group.
Failure to follow all cookery rules can lead to a deduction in points and possibly disqualification from the contest. Make sure your dish meets the category and division requirements! Call the 4-H office
at (337) 828-4100 if you have questions about the contest requirements.
Be sure your recipe is written correctly. The recipe should include the following parts:
1. Name of the recipe
2. All ingredients listed in order used in the instructions
3. Do not use abbreviations
4. Do not put brand names in the recipe
5. Clear instructions for combining ingredients given
6. Size of pot and pans used
7. Temperature and cooking time
8. Number of servings given
Sweet Potatoes-- new category
It is your responsibility to read and follow the rules!