A private applicator's pesticide license for purchasing restricted use pesticides may be obtained the following way.
- Study material is available for preparing for the private applicator exam. The National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Manual is $15, plus shipping and tax. You may order the core manual through the LSU AgCenter's Online Store at https://store.lsuagcenter.com/
- After studying, you may take the exam at any parish Extension Office. Contact your local Extension Office for available testing times.
- The exam may be taken at the Franklin Parish Extension Office between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. The test consists of 100 multiple choice questions. There is no fee for taking the test.
- A picture ID is required before taking the exam.
- The exam is faxed to the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry in Baton Rouge for grading. If a passing score (70 percent or above) is obtained, you will be notified by mail on how to proceed with the licensing process.
- The license is issued by the Louisiana Department of Agriculture for a fee of $25.
- The license needs to be renewed every three years before March 31.
The license may be renewed by attending a recertification training meeting offered by the LSU AgCenter. Training must be completed prior to the expiration date of the license or retesting will be required. Call your local Extension Office for their meeting schedule.
Recertification training is offered by the county agent in Tensas Parish and surrounding parishes each year in December, January or February. Call the Tensas Parish Extension office at 318-766-3320 for more information.
For a complete list of upcoming pesticide recertification meetings, please call your Louisiana Department of Agriculture District office. The LDAF District office phone number in Monroe is 318-345-7595 or you may call the Louisiana Department of Agriculture main office in Baton Rouge at 225-925-3796.