West Feliciana parish is known for its rolling hills, beautiful plantations, and historic sites but also includes livestock operations and pastureland. Livestock entities include beef cattle, goats, sheep, swine, and horses and contribute over $6 million to the state's economy. This webpage will provide information pertaining to livestock production, hay and pasture management, and upcoming events relevant to producers in West Feliciana parish.
Disaster Relief Information
If you were impacted by Hurricane Ida (livestock production, hay, facilities, etc.), and in need of assistance, please contact your parish emergency office at 225-635-6428 and they will contact LA Dept. of Ag and Forestry.
Disaster Preparedness for Livestock
Production & Environmental Programs
Louisiana Master Cattleman Program
Louisiana Master Farmer Program
October 7 - Louisiana Master Farmer Program Phase 1 training (livestock), Zachary, LA 5pm-9pm (contact Donna Gentry at 318-613-9278)
LSU AgCenter Pasture and Forage information
LSU AgCenter Livestock information
- Beef Quality Assurance – BQA is a national program that raises consumer confidence through offering proper management techniques and a commitment to quality within every segment of the beef industry. Certification courses, advanced education modules, and herd management resources can be found here.
- Masters of Beef Advocacy – training and resources to be a strong advocate for the beef community.
- Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. – Discover recipes, cut charts, and infographics showing the power of beef and raising cattle.
- United States Roundtable for Sustainable Beef – Learn how the U.S. beef value chain works to communicate continuous improvement in sustainability.
- Secure Beef Supply – Information on developing an enhanced biosecurity plan for foreign animal diseases for cattle operations.
- BeefResearch – Find research and information on topics including Beef Safety, Human Nutrition, Product Quality, Sustainability and Market Research.
- UCDavis - Beef Genetics and Genomics website
- Extension pages
- https://u.osu.edu/beefteam/resource-library/ - The Ohio State University Extension BEEF Team resource library with videos at the bottom of the page
Sheep & Goats
- American Consortium for Small Ruminant Parasite Control – provides important and current information on parasite management for small ruminants.
- Secure Sheep and Wool Supply - Information on developing an enhanced biosecurity plan for foreign animal diseases for sheep operations.
- American Sheep Industry Association (ASI) – They manage the sheep and wool quality assurance programs and many compiled producer education resources.
- American Lamb Board
- Sheep 101 - Great sheep webpage managed by Susan Schoenian, recently retired Sheep & Goat Specialist at University of Maryland Extension.
- Animal Ag Alliance – Their Animal Ag Allies or College Aggies Online initiatives could be of interest to those wanting to improve their agriculture advocacy skills.
- Council for Agricultural Technology and Science – science-based information about food and agriculture compiled by industry and academic experts.