Work Location: Grant Walker 4-H Educational Center – Pollock, LA.
Position Description: The Grant Walker 4-H Educational Center seeks a certified nurse to manage the Infirmary during 4-H Summer Camp. Grant Walker 4-H Educational Center serves as a 4-H summer camp for 4th – 6th-grade youth. Our facility can camp between 300-350 youth during any given week.
Expectations: Camp Nurses will provide basic medical care, dispense over-the-counter and prescription medication, and provide basic triage and simple diagnosis of injuries/medical problems. Nurses must document all medical care information. The Camp Nurse reports directly to the Camp Director.
- Licensed as a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse.
- Three-year prior professional nursing experience preferred, preferably with youth.
- Must complete the employee background screening process and be approved by the LSU AgCenter Human Resource Management Unit.
- Experience with children and young adults.
- Maintain current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Desire to work in a camp community.
- Ensure each camper has a health form on file. Review camper forms before camp weeks as needed.
- Dispense medications as prescribed by the camper’s physician and as detailed on the health form.
- Prepare accident/incident reports for all accidents/incidents.
- Follow appropriate medical procedures, including record-keeping in the daily medical log and medication administration records, managing and safeguarding medications, and utilizing approved standing orders.
- Conduct onsite training for staff as needed.
- Meet with Camp Director daily to review any camper issues and specific areas of need that may arise.
- Administer over-the-counter medications as directed.
- Assess campers and ill or injured staff and determine if further medical attention is needed.
- Assist in stabilizing campers and staff requiring transportation to the hospital.
- Documentation of all injuries and care rendered. Nurses must document all over-the-counter medicines, first aid treatment, and communication with 4-H agents and parents regarding camper health.
- Monitor/evaluate camp procedures, facilities, and conditions and suggest modifications that would create more healthful conditions at the camp.
- Other duties assigned by the Camp Director.
- Maintain inventory of medical supplies.
- Keep Infirmary clean and organized.
- Ability to communicate and work with campers, staff, and 4-H agents of various skill levels and provide necessary instruction regarding medical care.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Flexible – able to adapt to different environments and schedules.
- Responsible and hardworking.
- Excellent bedside manner, friendly and personable.
- Strong assessment abilities.
- Prior experience with children.
- Team player.
- Primary working area will be the Infirmary.
- Camp Nurses have private quarters in the dormitory across the hall from the Infirmary. Meals and snacks are also included.
Hours/Salary: The Infirmary is open Monday 11 a.m. – Thursday 11 a.m. each week. Day/Night shifts and shift rotations are available. Salary will commensurate with experience. Required training days will be scheduled before camp begins and determined upon hire.
Date Available: Camp begins on May 22, 2023, and ends July 28, 2023. LOST Camp is August 3-6, 2023. Camp is not in session the week of June 19-23, 2023.
Application Deadline: February 10, 2023, or until a suitable candidate is identified.
Application Deadline: Must apply online at LSU AgCenter Careers
MUST submit a cover letter, resume, two letters of recommendation, and official transcripts for the application to be complete.
The LSU Agricultural Center is a statewide campus of the LSU System and provides equal opportunities in programs and employment. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer