The best ways to prevent getting COVID-19 are handwashing, avoiding sick people, and social distancing. If you contract the virus, here are a few ways that you can boost your immune system:
- Manage Blood Sugars – Invest time in taking care of your blood sugar. High blood sugars make us susceptible to infection, which can lead to complications if one contracts COVID-19. Test frequently, count carbohydrates, maintain exercise routine and manage stress.
- Get Enough Sleep – Sleep helps to replenish and recharge all the cells in your body, especially brain cells. Seven to nine hours of sleep per night is crucial to heal the body from normal wear and tear, and to help build up one’s immunity if they contracted COVID-19 or even a cold or the flu.
- Don’t Smoke – If you are a smoker, this is the best time to quit. COVID-19 is a respiratory virus and smoking would cause more damage and complications including pneumonia which can be fatal.
- Eat the Rainbow – Fruits and vegetables are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Citrus fruits would boost your immune system grapefruits, oranges, lemons, limes, tomatoes, kiwi, tangerines. Getting to the grocery store may be hard right now, but services like Instant Care and Amazon Fresh can deliver fresh product right to your door, making healthy eating a little easier during this time.
- Exercise – It is a proven boost to your immune system. Exercise mobilizes your T cells which helps your white blood cells to guard against infection. It is recommended by the CDC that most adults get 150 minutes of moderate activity per week, walking, or 75 minutes of vigorous activity, running. This would also include gardening, vacuuming, jumping rope, mopping the floors, walking the dog and running up and down stairs.
What strategies do you use to boost your immune system? Be safe everyone!