Back to school means trying to figure out how to fit everything into our busy schedules and also get everyone fed. Of course we want it to be nutritious and delicious! Try this new twist on an old comfort food favorite - this Mexican Tater-tot casserole features lean protein, veggies, dairy and carbohydrates to fuel your family through the busy back to schedules. Build a healthy meal with the LSU AgCenter Nutrition tips and recipes!
- 1lb. ground chicken or turkey
- 1 onion, diced (about ¼ cup)
- 1packet taco seasoning mix (1 oz.) (Low sodium, if available)
- 1 can green chiles (4 oz.)
- 1 can black beans (15.5 oz.) rinsed and drained
- 1 bag frozen corn (14.4 oz.)
- 1 can red enchilada sauce (10 oz.)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar & Monterey jack cheese, divided
- 4 cups frozen tater tots
- Cilantro, optional garnish
- Sour cream, option garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 by13-inchbaking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the ground chicken/turkey and the onion to a 12-inch skillet, brown meat until thoroughly cooked. Add the seasoning packet, green chiles, black beans, frozen corn and the enchilada sauce to the meat and onion, stiruntil combined. Over medium heat cook another 8 to 10 minutes. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese to the meat mixture and stir until blended. Pour into the baking dish and spread evenly. Place the tater tots evenly over top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add the remaining cup of cheese over the top. Bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted Garnish with cilantro and top with sourcream!