National Farmers Market Week is August 1-7, 2021. It celebrates local farmers and agriculture. Farmers markets sell produce directly to the consumer. This is a great way to support your local farmers, agriculture, and community. Currently there are over 8,600 farmers markets across the country with 97 in Louisiana. According to the Farmers Market Coalition, more than 85% of vendors travel from less than 50 miles to a market.
Shopping at a farmers market means that you will be selecting produce that is in season. The produce is freshly picked, which ensures that it is at peak flavor. Your vendors are knowledgeable about the produce that they are selling. They can make recommendations on recipes, pairing the produce with other foods, and even storing methods. Check with your farmers market to see if they accept EBT cards in order to utilize your SNAP benefits.
Below are the current farmers markets in Caddo and Bossier parishes. Make sure to check for any schedule changes.
- Shreveport Famers Market: Saturdays June 5th – August 28th 7:30 am – 12:30 pm located at Festival Plaza, 101 Crockett Street, Shreveport, LA 71101
- Shreveport Provenance Farmers Market: Thursdays during June 2021 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm located in front of Windrush Grill in Provenance, 1023 Provenance Pl Blvd, Shreveport, LA 71106
- Bossier City Farmers Market: Saturdays April 3rd – November 20th 9:00 am – 1:00 pm located at the Pierre Bossier Mall (I-20 and Airline)
- Benton Farmers Market: Sundays May to July 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm located at 495 Simpson, Benton, LA 71106
- Town of Greenwood Farmers Market: Saturdays June to August 8:00 am – 12:00 pm located at 6978 Howell Street, Greenwood, LA 71033
- Town of Vivian Farmers Market: Thursdays at 6:00 pm located by the downtown gazebo
Try this recipe with produce purchased from your local farmers market:
Vibrant Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Makes: 10 servings
From: Taste of Home
- 3 cups black eyed peas, cooked and drained
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 small bell peppers (try 1 green, 1 yellow, and 1 red)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano (or ¼ teaspoon dried oregano)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine peas, tomatoes, peppers, onion, celery, and basil.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk vinegar, mustard, oregano, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 3 hours before serving. Enjoy!
For more information on farmers markets and National Farmers Market Week visit:
U.S. Department of Agriculture: https://www.nutrition.gov/topics/shopping-cooking-and-meal-planning/farmers-markets
Farmers Market Coalition: https://farmersmarketcoalition.org/
University of Nebraska: https://food.unl.edu/food-calendar/august/farmers-market-week