Quincy Vidrine prepares Bread Pudding with low fat cream cheese frosting in the electric cooker on News Channel 5.
Click image to view Jambalaya- News Channel 5 video.
6 cups stale cinnamon bread, cubed
4 tablespoons butter, melted
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
3 cups low-fat milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup powdered sugar
1 ounce of low-fat cream cheese, softened
3 to 4 tablespoons of low-fat milk
½ teaspoon of almond extract (may substitute vanilla, if desired)
1. Whisk together butter, brown sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
2. Gently stir in bread cubes, so you keep the bread pieces whole, but allowing them to absorb the mixture. Leave the bread in the bowl for 25 minutes, lightly folding the bread over in the mixture every 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Pour bread pudding mixture into a buttered baking dish/pan that will fit inside the pressure cooker. Cover the dish/pan with foil.
4. Pour ½ cup to ¾ cup of water in the pressure cooker, place the baking dish inside the pressure cooker, in the water. (The water should only come up ½ the way up the sides of the baking dish/pan.)
5. Lock the lid on the pressure cooker, and select the 20 minute cooking setting/time.
6. Release the pressure when the timer goes off, open the lid and let set for 15 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the pressure cooker.
7. Drizzle icing on top of bread pudding and serve warm.
The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture