Although we are not certain there will be an Area/Regional Cookery Contest this year, we will continue with our Virtual Ouachita Parish Cookery Contest. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place winners in each category! If we are able to continue with the Area Cookery, parish winners in each category will go on to compete.
- Rice Main Dish
- Rice Any Other
- Sweet Potato
- Quick-n-Easy Ground Beef
Email entries to email@example.com
by 5:00 p.m., Friday, January 8, 2021
All 4-Hers - ages 9-19 are eligible
Prizes will be awarded!
- Email a video or ‘picture story’ of you (the 4-H member) cooking a dish along with your recipe
- What is a 'Picture Story'? A picture story contains multiple pictures that tell the 'story' of how you made your dish.
- Videos & 'Picture Stories' should include ingredients, cooking process, & finished products. Videos should be 5-10 minutes long.
- Include the following in the subject line: "Ouachita 4-H Cookery Contest"
- Include the following within the email: 4-H member's name, school/4-H club & grade, judging category, recipe (submit recipe on the recipe form available on our website at www.lsuagcenter.com/ouachita)
- Recipes used should not serve more than 12 servings.
Dish Requirements & Categories
- The serving dish should be no larger than 11 x 16 or 12 inch round. Recipes used should not serve more than 12 servings.
- Rice Main Dish – Dish must contain at least one cup of uncooked rice or two cups of cooked rice (white or brown rice). If contestant is using rice bran instead of rice, the recipe must contain at least ¼ cup of rice bran. Wild rice is acceptable as long as there are two cups of cooked white or brown rice also included in the dish. Dish must contain a plant or animal protein. (Excludes Protein Powder)
- Rice Any Other – Dish must contain at least one cup of uncooked rice or two cups of cooked rice (white or brown rice). If contestant is using rice bran instead of rice, the recipe must contain at least ¼ cup of rice bran. Wild rice is acceptable as long as there are two cups of cooked white or brown rice also included in the dish. Any type rice dish other than a main dish may be entered. Dish could be salad, dessert, and/or side dish.
- Pecan – Dish must contain at least one cup of pecans. Any type pecan dish may be entered.
- Sweet Potato – Any type sweet potato dish may be entered. Dish must contain a minimum of one cup of fresh, canned, or frozen sweet potatoes.
- Egg – Dish must utilize a minimum of four (4) eggs. This can be four whites, four yolks, or four whole eggs. No raw eggs will be allowed in final product. The recipe with four eggs must make only one standard size dish. For example, a recipe with four eggs that makes two pies of standard size will not qualify. Any type egg dish may be entered.
- Chicken – Dish must contain a minimum of two (2) pounds bone-in or one (1) pound deboned chicken meat. Any type chicken dish may be entered.
- Quick-N-Easy Ground Beef – The dish must contain a minimum of one (1) pound ground beef. All beef should be cooked until gray in color, not pink, and juices run clear. Any type ground beef dish may be entered. Dish must be prepared and cooked within one hour or less.