Mark your calendars!! The Ouachita 4-H Cookery Contest is scheduled for Monday, January 10, 2022 from 5:00-7:30 p.m. in the 4-H auditorium. 4-H’ers should drop off their dishes between 5:00-6:00 p.m. & arrive back at 7:00 p.m. for the awards presentation. 4-H’ers with winning dishes will compete in the Area Cookery in Rayville in February. They will compete against 4-H’ers in 12 other parishes!
- Please pre-register by contacting the 4-H office via phone (318-323-2251) or email (email@example.com) stating contestant’s name & dish category.
- 4-H members aged 9 to 19 are eligible to compete. Juniors & seniors will compete together.
- Contestants will enter 2 servings of their dish. Servings will be separated & placed in individual containers with lids. Each serving must be in its own container & not in a plastic bag.
- Any sauces, condiments, chips, crackers, etc. need to be divided into individual portions, placed in a separate container, & included with the serving. Plastic bags are allowed for chips & crackers.
- Containers must be chilled (cold to the touch) & transported in an insulated, hard case ice chest with ice. No insulated totes or bags will be allowed. Styrofoam is allowed. Containers not properly chilled, not properly covered & not in a hard case ice chest will be disqualified.
- Containers must be covered in ice chest.
- Each 4-H'er may enter a maximum of two (2) dishes at the area contest & must be present in order to compete.
- Recipes should not serve more than 12 servings.
- Bring a copy of your recipe with you to the Cookery Contest!!
- Rice Main Dish - Dish must contain at least one cup of uncooked rice or two cups of cooked rice (white or brown rice).If contestant is using rice bran instead of rice, the recipe must contain at least ¼ cup of rice bran. Wild rice is acceptable as long as there are two cups of cooked white or brown rice also included in the dish. Dish must contain a plant or animal protein. (Excludes Protein Powder)
- Rice Any Other - Dish must contain at least one cup of uncooked rice or two cups of cooked rice (white or brown rice). If contestant is using rice bran instead of rice, the recipe must contain at least ¼ cup of rice bran. Wild rice is acceptable as long as there are two cups of cooked white or brown rice also included in the dish. Any type rice dish other than a main dish may be entered. Dish could be salad, dessert, and/or side dish.
- Pecan - Dish must contain at least one cup of pecans. Any type pecan dish may be entered.
- Sweet Potato - Any type sweet potato dish may be entered. Dish must contain a minimum of one cup of fresh, canned, or frozen sweet potatoes.
- Egg - Dish must utilize a minimum of four (4) eggs. This can be four whites, four yolks, or four whole eggs. No raw eggs will be allowed in final product. The recipe with four eggs must make only one standard size dish. For example, a recipe with four eggs that makes two pies of standard size will not qualify. Any type egg dish may be entered.
- Chicken - Dish must contain a minimum of two (2) pounds bone-in or one (1) pound deboned chicken meat. Any type chicken dish may be entered.
- Quick-N-Easy Ground Beef - The dish must contain a minimum of one (1) pound ground beef. All beef should be cooked until gray in color, not pink, and juices run clear. Any type ground beef dish may be entered. Dish must be prepared and cooked within 30 minutes or less.
- Main Dish Beef - The dish must contain a minimum of one (1) pound beef. All beef should be cooked until gray in color, not pink, and juices run clear. Any type beef dish may be entered.