What is 4-H University? Each year 4-H members who are in the 8th-12th grade as of August 1, 2021, are eligible to participate in 4-H University to demonstrate their skills in more than 40 competitive events. It is a culmination of a 4-H member’s year of hard work & dedication. Events range from Agricultural Use Demonstration, Automotive Care, Fishing Sports, Public Speaking, Fashion Revue, & more! Through competing, youth demonstrate life skills in teamwork, decision making, problem solving, resiliency, & many more. Each competitive event allows youth an opportunity for personal growth, skill mastery, & other life skills vital to functioning members of society.
- This year’s theme is: STRIVE. 4-HU will be held June 21-24, 2022, at the LSU Campus in Baton Rouge! A few of the contests will be held virtually.
- Cost: $75 to register. This will cover housing & other expenses such as: supplies, materials, awards, etc. Meals will not be provided. Youth will need to bring money for meals.
- How to Register: Contact Tara Garlington via email, firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 323-2251. The proper paperwork will be provided at that time.
- Registration Deadline: May 10, 2022
4HU details have been emailed to all 4-H families & are also available on our Facebook page, Ouachita 4-H. If you have questions, please contact our office at 323-2251.
Youth have 2 ways of participating in 4HU. They may choose the competitive track, participating on of the many contests; or they may choose to participate in the Clover College Track. Note: If youth choose the Competitive Track, we will provide resources and help them with preparations. If you have questions about a particular contest before making a decision, please let me know and I can email the specific contest details.
- The Competitive Track list has been emailed to all 4-H families & is also on our Facebook page.
- The Clover College Track is a non-competitive educational experience where youth may choose to learn about an area of interest, while still being able to have the LSU Campus experience! Clover College Choices will be available & shared after April 1. Note: If a 4-H member participates in a virtual contest, they will participate in the 4HU on-campus experience by enrolling in the Clover College Track.
4HU Contest List:
will be able provide resources and help prepare youth for contests.
- 4-H Has
- ATV Safety
Preparation (Virtual Contest for Preliminaries/Final Round In-Person)
- Consumer Food
- Dairy Cattle
Conservation Illustrated Talk
- Fashion Revue
- It’s Sew YOU!
- Fashion Revue
- Ready to Wear
- Fashion Revue
- Upcycled Fashion.
- Family &
Consumer Sciences Demonstration
Demonstration - General
Identification & Evaluation
Agronomic Illustrated Talk
Chef Demonstration (Virtual Contest)
Identification & Judging
- Next Healthy
Identification and Evaluation
Speaking - Any
Speaking - Cooperatives (Virtual Contest)
- Teens Driving
- Tiger Tank
- Zero Turn
4HU Clover College List: Non-Competitive
Option – This information will be available the beginning of
Louisiana 4-H University Objectives
- Promote a culture of inclusion amongst a diverse group of youth through positive social & educational experiences.
- Provide opportunities for engagement in learning to develop mastery through project participation & achievement.
- Provide the opportunity for self-determination through empowered decision making & teamwork.
- Provide the opportunity for youth to see themselves as active participants in the future through career exploration.
- Provide a safe & inclusive environment for youth.
- Provide the opportunity for youth to practice service to others.
We hope to see you there!