State Livestock Show
Congratulations Emerson Tomlinson (middle) on your accomplishments at the State Livestock Show in Gonzales, Louisiana. Emerson was the State Runner-up in the 10 Year Old Showmanship Class. We are so proud of you!
March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
Colorectal cancer is a disease in which cancer cells develop in the colon or rectum. It is estimated by the American Cancer Society that approximately 132,700 cases of colorectal cancer will be diagnosed in the United States, and nearly 49,700 men and women will die of the disease this year. http://mnoncology.com/about-us/practice-news/march-is-colorectal-cancer-awareness-month-get-the-facts/
East Carroll Parish 4-H Strawberry Sale
East Carroll Parish 4-H'ers are selling South Louisiana strawberries for $20/flat of 12 pints per plat. The deadline to order and pay is March 27 and the strawberries will be delivered to the 4-H office on Monday, April 1. The strawberries MUST be picked up between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. on the 1st. Order today by pre-paying at the 4-H Office/LSU AgCenter. Thank you for supporting East Carroll 4-H!
Beef Poster Contest
The 2019 Louisiana Beef Industry Council (LBIC) Beef Poster Contest is open to 4-H and FFA members between 4th and 12th grades. Participants are only eligible to win the state level contest one time. 4-H and FFA divisions compete against each other, therefore, participants may only enter either as a 4-H or FFA poster or design. Division III competitors must choose to compete in EITHER the poster OR digital competition, participants CANNOT participate in both divisions in the same year. Posters and designs submitted to the state competition become the property of the LSU AgCenter and LBIC. The state winning posters may be used to promote beef at various events. Posters in local and parish contests should be displayed in public places such as grocery stores, drug stores, farm stores, banks, libraries, schools, Extension offices, etc.
Division I: 4th-6th grades
Division II: 7th-9th grades
Division III POSTER: 10th-12 grades
Division III DIGITAL: 10th-12th grades
- Theme: TEAM BEEF (Fitness & Nutrition Focus)
- Posters must be on 22x28 poster board only
- Place your Name, Address, Age, Grade in School and Parish/Chapter on back, upper right corner of poster.
- Digital entries must be designed using one of the following programs: Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Canva. Digital designs should be formatted for 22x28 poster size prints. Save all digital entries in high-resolution 300 DPI in ALL of the following: original design file, .png file format, and .pdf file format. Save digital designs to a blank jump drive and place in a 3 1/2 x 6 blank envelope labeled with Name, Address, Age, Grade in School and Parish/Chapter on the front.
- Posters and digital designs should generate positive images and promotion of beef (not live cattle production) using the indicated theme. Do NOT project any negative messages toward other agricultural commodities (chicken, pork, etc.)
- Do NOT use copyrighted materials. You may develop ideas from magazines, parents, friends, nutrition bulletins, Beef Ambassador Fact Sheets and meat publications but the end concept should be original and not copied material. Materials to pull ideas from are also available from your local supermarket, butcher, the American Meat Institute and National Livestock and Meat Board.
- No Templates may be used in the digital division. All design work must be original and from scratch, just as a poster would be designed.
- Pictures, clip-art and materials (i.e. cartoon characters, advertisements, logos, etc.) that are copyrighted may not be used on the poster. Computer generated clip-art may be used if it is not copyrighted material. The poster will be disqualified if copyrighted materials are used.
DEADLINE: MARCH 6
Daylight Savings Time begins Sunday, March 10.
Scott Foundation Scholarship
Scott Foundation Scholarship applications are due by March 30. Submit completed application by 4:30 p.m. to the 4-H Office.
Dairy Billboard Contest
4-H club members are to draw a billboard that encourages or promotes the consumption of milk and milk products and their importance for health.
- Billboard design must be made on 22x28 regular poster board size only.
- Do NOT attach anything to the poster that is more than 1/2” thick.
- Do NOT use the commercial brand names of products on the poster. Do NOT use jingles, slogans, signs or pictures that are trademark or copyright protected on the poster.
- BE SURE to print your name, address, grade in school and parish on the back of the poster in the upper right-hand corner. Please fill out the reporting form completely.
DEADLINE: APRIL 3
4-H Poster Art Contest
- Posters may be made by any 4-H’er or by a club or by a team of club members.
- Posters may be horizontal only.
- Posters must be 14x22 inches.
- Name, address, parish and age of the 4-H member(s) should be clearly written on the back of each poster.
- 4-H is the topic for the poster.
- Well known cartoon figures cannot be used because they are copyrighted—such as Marvel Super Heroes, Disney characters, Ninja Turtles, Lego characters, Pokemon characters, etc.
- Three dimensional objects or materials which extend 1/8 inch or more above the surface of the poster may not be used.
- The poster design must be original in design and layout.
DEADLINE: APRIL 8
Let's go to 4-H Summer Camp
When: May 20-24, 2019
T-shirts YL to YXL $10; S to XL $10; 2XL to 3XL $11
Photos - Camp Group $5 and/or Parish Group $5
Camp Store - as little or as much as you want to pre-pay
Deadline to pay: APRIL 1
Requirements: Campers must be in grade 4, 5 or 6 and must be 12 years old or younger on January 1 of the current camping year.
Should a camper need an ADA accommodation, please contact Lekeisha Lucas-Powell at (318) 559-1459.