Work Location: Office of Communications, LSU AgCenter, Baton Rouge, La.
Job Description: The LSU College of Agriculture is seeking a talented, deadline-driven communicator to serve as the college’s communication coordinator.
The Communications Coordinator will oversee communications strategies for the LSU College of Agriculture. The coordinator will develop messages and provide information to various audiences about the college and promote the college using traditional media, social media, websites, newsletters, video, and printed publications. The coordinator will work with administrators, faculty, and staff to raise the profile of the college among students, parents, alumni, and other stakeholders.
Job responsibilities include:
· Build on existing communications structures to share messages and content to key audiences while searching for new audiences and markets to distribute information about the college. The coordinator will be responsible for conveying the mission and vision of the college through multiple channels. The coordinator will understand LSU and the college’s brand and use it appropriately.
· Maintain an editorial calendar that includes news releases, video production, a social media schedule, event coverage, and publications. Put the plan in action through written communications and by creating online content, producing videos, taking photographs, and covering college events, which include student, alumni, and donor engagement events.
· Organize and execute a succinct and successful social media strategy while maintaining and developing engaging web content. Work with departments and faculty to keep content current. Coordinate with administration staff, students, and alumni to ensure the vision of the college is represented online. Attend events, meetings, and classes to gather information and photos.
· Partner with the LSU AgCenter Communications Department to deliver unified messages on agriculture. The coordinator will work with the team to create branded printed pieces for the college. Maintain relations with LSU Strategic Communications, campus communicators, and the LSU Foundation to keep LSU’s communications strategies on target.
· Coordinate with the AgCenter communications director to help provide editorial oversight for the AgCenter and college’s joint magazine. Work the recruiting, development, and alumni teams to develop content from the college, write articles, and gather photographs for the annual issue. Coordinate with editor of the AgCenter’s quarterly magazine to deliver content for the college news page.
Qualification Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in mass communications, agricultural communications, journalism, marketing or related field is required. Prior experience in a communications role is preferred. The successful candidate must have strong verbal and written communications skills, the ability to manage mulitple projects and be self-motived and detail-oriented. Graphic design and video editing skills are preferred.
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The LSU AgCenter has an attractive benefits package with a wide variety of benefit options. Benefits offered include retirement, multiple medical insurance options, supplemental insurances (dental, life, long-term disability, accident, vision, long-term care, etc.), Tax Saver Flexible Benefits Plan (saves tax dollars on some child care and medical expenses), university holidays (14 per year, typically includes a week off at Christmas), generous annual (vacation) and sick leave benefits, Employee Assistance Program, and possible educational leave and tuition exemption for coursework at campuses of the LSU System. Specific benefits depend on job category, percent effort and length of employment.
Application Deadline: October 13, 2020 or until a suitable candidate is located.
Application Procedure: Apply online at https://lsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/LSU (or through Workday for internal applicants) by attaching cover letter with resume, university transcripts, and two letters of reference. Paper, faxed or e-mailed application materials will not be accepted, except that in lieu of attaching the reference letters online, they may be sent directly to:
Director, Communications and Public Relations
141 Knapp Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
The LSU Agricultural Center is a statewide campus of the LSU System and provides equal opportunities in programs and employment. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer