(This position is funded by self-generated revenue from the Botanic Gardens. Funding must be available for any continuation of appointment.)
Work Location: LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens at Burden, 4560 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge, La.
Job Description: The LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens is seeking a talented, deadline-driven communicator to serve as the gardens’ communication coordinator. The Communications Coordinator will oversee communications strategies for the LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens. The coordinator will work closely with LSU AgCenter Communications Department to develop messages and provide information to various audiences about the Botanic Gardens and promote the Gardens educational programs and events using traditional media, social media, website, newsletter, video, and printed publications. The coordinator will work with the staff and Friends of the Gardens to raise the profile of the Gardens among stakeholders.
Job responsibilities include:
· Build on existing communications structures to share messages and content to key audiences while searching for new audiences and markets to distribute information about the Gardens. The coordinator will be responsible for conveying the mission and vision of the Gardens through multiple channels. The coordinator will understand LSU AgCenter and the Garden’s brand and use it appropriately.
· Maintain an editorial calendar that includes news releases, video production, a social media schedule, event coverage, and publications. Put the plan in action through written communications and by creating online content, producing videos, taking photographs, and covering educational programs and events, which include university, stakeholder, and donor engagement events.
· Organize and execute a succinct and successful social media strategy while maintaining and developing engaging web content. Work with the staff and Friends of the Gardens to keep content current. Coordinate with staff and Friends of the Gardens to ensure the vision of the Gardens is represented online. Attend events, meetings, and programs to gather information and photos.
· Partner with the LSU AgCenter Communications Department to deliver unified messages on agriculture and the environment. The coordinator will work with the team to create branded printed pieces for the Gardens.
· Coordinate with the AgCenter communications to help provide editorial oversight for the newsletters, publications, social media, and emails.
Qualification Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in mass communications, agricultural communications, journalism, marketing or related field is required. Prior experience in a communications role is preferred. The successful candidate must have strong verbal and written communications skills, the ability to manage multiple projects and be self-motivated and detail oriented. Graphic design and video editing skills are preferred.
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The LSU AgCenter has an attractive benefits package with a wide variety of benefit options. Benefits offered include retirement, multiple medical insurance options, supplemental insurances (dental, life, long-term disability, accident, vision, long-term care, etc.), Tax Saver Flexible Benefits Plan (saves tax dollars on some child care and medical expenses), university holidays (14 per year, typically includes a week off at Christmas), generous annual (vacation) and sick leave benefits, Employee Assistance Program, and possible educational leave and tuition exemption for coursework at campuses of the LSU System. Specific benefits depend on job category, percent effort and length of employment.
Application Deadline: January 17, 2021 or until a suitable candidate is located.
Application Procedure: Apply online at https://lsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/LSU (or through Workday for internal applicants) by attaching cover letter with resume, university transcripts, and two letters of reference. Paper, faxed or e-mailed application materials will not be accepted, except that in lieu of attaching the reference letters online, they may be sent directly to:
Director, LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens
4560 Essen Lane
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
The LSU Agricultural Center is a statewide campus of the LSU System and provides equal opportunities in programs and employment. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer